Samsung Galaxy S II Vs Apple iPhone 4S 16GB

Submitted: Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 15:42
ThreadID: 91317 Views:3083 Replies:10 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi
I was wandering if anyone out there has either a Samsung Galaxy S II or a Apple iPhone 4S 16GB and if so what is there reception like on your travels out in the country.

The Apple iPhone 4S 16GB has a blue tick ( in the shops . Not on the internet sites ).
Interestingly Apple iPhone 4 lost reception badly when one held the phone normally from the bottom. Antenna was at the bottom side of phone. Apparently this problem has been fixed in the 4S

Samsung Galaxy S II does not have a blue tick but you can plug an external antenna on.

Regards
Lachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Original JohnR (Vic) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 15:50

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 15:50
I see you say "that the iPhone 4 lost reception badly when one held the phone normally at the bottom". You know, I have never found that but because I have dropped my phone a few times out of my pocket, it fitted it with a Speck case that bounces. Holding the phone hasn't caused me any problems.

My iPhone 4 and my wife's 4S get better reception than the Blue Tick N95 my wife had previously, or a previous GSM phone I had with an external antenna.
AnswerID: 475419

Reply By: Member - Andrew (WA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 15:56

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 15:56
I bought an iphone 4s 16GB last week. Haven't noticed any drama with reception so far.
I live in the country.
AnswerID: 475421

Reply By: Flighty ( WA ) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 16:10

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 16:10
Lachie
Have a 4S unit and travel fairly regular throughout WA and find reception to be as good, if not better than most others.
However in my own backyard in view of tower it sometimes drops out, so you never really know do you.
Cheers
Paul

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 475423

Reply By: Member - Rich - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 16:20

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 16:20
A lot of people including myself are having problems with ipads, iphones ets.

It seems to be related to the lastest fersion of apples ios.

When typing in forums like i a m now using safari, safari crashes and you lose everthiing you have typed.

Apple have been notified butvwill mot acknowledge the problem.

My comment may not be related to you question but if you are in doubt you may want to consider the stability and support issues around what you buy.

Rich
AnswerID: 475424

Reply By: Member - Mark (Tamworth NSW) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 17:52

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 17:52
Choice magazine did a detailed comparison of all Smart Phones (in Sydney undoubtedly) and published the results in the last 2 weeks, including the above two phones.

Have a look yourself, but from memeory they rated the Samsung only 1 point higher than the Apple (out of 100) overall.
I know tjhat in marginal reception areas their reception is still not as good as the old, ugly T165 country brick.

AnswerID: 475434

Follow Up By: Lachie - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 19:17

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 19:17
Do you mean the apple4S and the sumsung s2 are both the same for reception?
I will check Choice's site out.
FollowupID: 750375

Reply By: Penchy - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 18:31

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 18:31
I would assume it has more to do with the service provider than the phone itself. I have a Galaxy II, good phone, Voda***** service provider - they are dead set rubbish any where. Many areas of Sydney still no reception and many country towns no reception. Getting back to the question though, I dont know if there would be a noticable difference unless you take the sim card from one phone and place it in the other and see what happens.
AnswerID: 475436

Follow Up By: Lachie - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 19:19

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 19:19
I was only thinking of telstra next G. No other provider seems to work well enough here.
Lachie.
FollowupID: 750377

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 19:34

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 19:34
Lachie
You may be able to get a better idea if we knew where "here" is.
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 750379

Follow Up By: Lachie - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:50

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 20:50
Sorry I didn't realize you couldn't see me. I have been too long out in the sun.
If you join Ballarat ,Geelong and Colac up with a line , we would be in the middle.
Between Shelford and Rokewood in Vic to be more exact.

Lachie
FollowupID: 750388

Reply By: Member - bungarra (WA) - Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 21:06

Thursday, Jan 19, 2012 at 21:06
I have recently switched to a Samsung Galaxy S11 and am more than happy with its performance

we live in the country where we have always required a Telstra bluetick handset. Based on my research I decided that the marginal drop off in reception by going to this particular non blue tick was worth the risk..(also as you noted there is an antannae socket inside for a patch lead)

I tested the LG TU550 (blue itck) a known country performer ( I use it to direction tune a Yagi antennae)....against my new Galaxy S11 this morning when assembling a new antennae..the results

no antannae..units outside placed about 300mm from each other.....

RSCP on the LG TU550 was -92 average. The Samsung S11 was average -97

(In case you are not aware of these figues -120 is very poor and -40 is excellent...dont want a signal stronger than -40 is my understanding)

both comparable as far as I am concerned..........not going properly bush I havent had the chance to test as yet..which unit drops out first...I suspect the Samsung will long before the other.....but the tests may indicate how they will perform on a poor signal

yes the results above are a poor signal but they work fine on that here at the farm...with very rare drop outs...

by the way my son has changed from am iphone 3 to the new Samsung Nexus.....he researches things throughly
Life is a journey, it is not how we fall down, it is how we get up.
VKS 1341

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 475446

Reply By: Lachie - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:16

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:16
Thank you all for your input. You people out there using these phone's know far more than any Telstra desk jocky. Thank you again.

Regards
Lachie
AnswerID: 475475

Reply By: Jon B4 - Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 17:32

Friday, Jan 20, 2012 at 17:32
I've had a Samsung SII now for 4 months. I love the flexibility you have with the phone, you are not forced into using particular software to load music to it or to use the phone to its full capacity. Many popular programs are free if you're prepared to tolerate small advertisements and often if you like it alot you can pay a small premium and remove the advertisements.

One big thing with the Android phones is that they have free GPS which is updated along with Google Maps without needing to outlay any extra dough.

AnswerID: 475515

Reply By: Member - Old Girl - Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 00:34

Monday, Jan 23, 2012 at 00:34
I bought my Samsung Galaxy a couple of weeks ago so still learning the ropes. I wanted to buy a video camera and my phone was about to die so bought the S/G. Just came back from a trip. Got some fantastic footage. We were in and out of black spots and when we came back in both my husbands Nokia and the Samsung beeped at the same time. So I guess both have the same strength in that regard. There are so many free apps available. I put on a led torch light app which works great.
Sharon
AnswerID: 475747

Sponsored Links